Basic steps and key points as of today are:
- UTM, virtualbox, vmware fusion will not help you run ubuntu virtual machine on your arm based macbook pro m1 (running apple silicon)
- You need to have parallels for it to work
- Install the latest beta version of 22.04 for arm processor.
What did not work
I tried these and this did not work for me on macbook pro m1:
- Installing ubuntu 21.10 on utm or vmware fusion
- installing ubuntu server on utm or vmware fusion and then installing desktop environment using tasksel
So for now, use parallels till other softwares support m1 completely.